HOW TO PREPARE YOUR ORGANIC SOURDOUGH PIZZA BASE
- Your dough has already been bulk proofed and fermented for 16-24 hours, so all you need to do is follow these easy steps by defrosting and final proofing to enjoy some beautiful sourdough pizza. One ball = one big pizza, enough for 2-3 people.
- Once you get home, place the dough straight into the freezer (This will store fine for at least 2-3 months in your freezer) or place in the fridge for dinner the following night.
- The evening before you want to make your pizza for dinner, take dough balls out of the freezer and leave in the fridge to de-frost overnight.
- 2-3 hours before dinner, pull the dough out of the fridge and leave on your kitchen counter for 2 hours in the compostable bag, to come up to room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven 30 mins before baking to 450°F with your baking tray or pizza stone in the oven.
- Cover your bench/counter with white flour. We recommend Anita’s Organic All-purpose Flour.
- Carefully unwrap the dough (save the bag for later) and place on the floured surface.
- Sprinkle some additional flour on top of the dough.
- Use fingers (not rolling pin: it’s sourdough and you don’t want to push out the air-be gentle!) to gently press down to create a crust. I like to roll out and then finish by using my thumb and finger to create a thicker edge that will make a beautiful crust and hold all your sauce in place ( see our Facebook video on our BRED – Organic Sourdough page). Push from the inside-out to form a crust and flatten the dough into a small circle approx. 8” in diameter (it will be made bigger later).
- Carefully put the pizza base onto a baking mat or parchment paper to make it easy to transfer to hot tray/stone, once built.
- Cover your dough again with the compostable bag, which will stop any drying and wait approx. 10-15 minutes: You can start preparing your sauce and toppings whilst the dough is resting.
- Repeat the process, stretching it to approx. 12” diameter this time, or more, if you prefer a thinner base.
- Add your chosen sauce and topping, then slide straight onto tray/stone and bake approx. 20-25 mins until golden brown, turning if necessary. Remember: it will take a little longer to bake as it does not have commercial yeast in it, but will have an amazing taste and texture.
Watch Ed Prepare Sourdough Pizza Dough:
pre-order your sourdough pizza dough here!
For in-store pick up
learn more about bred's story on our blog